It’s that time of year when soup looks good, feels good and taste so yummy! Who says you can’t have soup every night or several nights a week? or how about a Christmas soup party? let me take you on a journey of Christmas soups (technically 8 recipes);) Also, very budget friendly I might add, several recipes can be made using leftovers or doubling the batch for another recipe…Saving time and $$ who doesn’t love that?! 🙂
- Tomato Basil Soup w/ fresh garlic basil croutons
1 drizzle olive oil
1/2 cup minced onion (I used only about quarter onion grated finely)
1 clove garlic minced (I grate mine on a fine grater as well)
2-28 oz. cans of crushed tomatoes
3 cups chicken broth
3/4 cup heavy cream (optional, I did not add it for this batch of soup)
1/3 cup minced fresh basil
* I used a tablespoon of dried as well
1/4-1 tsp dried oregano ( use to your liking but at least a 1/4 tsp)
salt and pepper to taste
In the place of cream I add 2 tablespoons of butter
- Heat olive oil in large pot over med heat and add onion and garlic, cook about a min then add crushed tomatoes and chicken broth (if you don’t have crushed and have diced this is where I use my immersion blender aka..stick blender to crush them) bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 mins.
- Add remaining ingredients and keep simmering for an additional 15-20 mins.
- * this is where I add 2 tablespoons of butter 🙂
- Make croutons by cubing bread (French, Italian, ciabatta etc..), place cubes in heated olive oil or butter add dried basil, sprinkle of garlic powder and salt and pepper, toss until golden brown.
- 1 lb of lean ground meat (you can use what you like, turkey, pork and beef mix etc..)
- 1/2 tsp Salt and Pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried basil and oregano
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 3 large baking potatoes (about 2 1/2 lb/1.1 kg)
- 3 1/2 cups (875 mL) milk, divided
- 4 oz (125 g) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2-3 green onions with tops (1/4 cup sliced) Optional
- 4 oz (125 g) sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
- Optional toppings such as chopped cooked bacon, sour cream or steamed broccoli florets
- Slice potatoes in half lengthwise, then quarter and dice, Pour the milk over potatoes, (I add abt half cup of water as well), bring to a slight boil, turn heat down for them to continue to cook, but not scorch the milk.
- Meanwhile, take the cream cheese and a couple ladles of warm milk and whisk in a separate bowl till creamy, when potatoes are fork tender coarsely mash potatoes and then add cream cheese and butter.
- Add salt and black pepper and stir well, at this point I cook up some bacon nice and crispy and break into pieces and add to the pot of soup.
- Serve with shredded cheese and sour cream, and if your like my hungry bunch a few slices of extra bacon on the side 😉
- half of a rotisserie chicken chopped up into chunks
- 2-cans of chicken stock
- 4-cups of water (may need more depending on what noodles you use)
- 1- can of Evaporated whole milk
- noodles- I use No-Yoke Egg noodles or Pennsylvania Dutch fine egg noodles (makes it more like classic chicken noodle soup) you can even take spaghetti noodles and break them into small pieces.
- 1-bag of frozen carrots (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste, this recipe uses more in my opinion.
- Shredded chicken (from the left over rotisserie chicken)
- half jar of Salsa Verde
- can of rotel optional if you like mild then omit.
- 1- can of black beans rinsed and drained
- 1- can of Chili Beans in mild sauce
- 1- can of creamed corn
- 1- can of diced tomatoes
- 1- can of chicken stock- low sodium
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon each: cumin, chili powder, black pepper, salt or you can use a package of taco or chili seasoning if you have that on hand.
- 1-lb of lean ground beef or turkey
- 2- large cans of bush’s chili beans with mild sauce
- 1- can of tomato sauce
- 1- can of diced tomatoes (optional)
- 1 package of French’s Chili-O chili seasoning or seasoning of choice
- 4 cups of water
- Spaghetti Squash
- Left over Chili
- shredded cheese
- onion or salsa (your choice)